Monday, January 9, 2012

Republican Debate In New Hampshire Or Hey Look At What This Guy's Doing?

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/01/09/enjoying-big-lead-romney-seeks-to-withstand-collective-gop-assault-in-new/


I have to admit that I watched the debate somewhat skeptically.  As usual with Presidential Elections I have a person on both sides that I want to win in the primaries.  My first election (2004) it was Wesley Clark in the Democratic Primaries.  At one point when there was talk of John McCain spiting the ticket with Jim Webb, I was in love.  It seems that my primary picks never make it but I still liked to pick them.  This year is no different with Ron Paul, and Saturday's debate was proof enough for me to stay behind him and cheer him on. While the mud from his camp was a bit dry, it was the same mud he has slung, and his rhetoric was that from which he as espoused the entire campaign.  Most of what Paul says is nutty enough to keep him out of the White House but just palatable for people like me to step up and support him.  In my opinion his is Conservative enough in the right places to warrant some attention. 

The debate really seemed less like a really debate and more of a contest in diversion.  Paul would attack Rick Santorum, Santroum would lob a shot at Rick Perry, Perry would try to remember the shot he was going to lob at Jon Huntsman.  Huntsman focused a good bit on Mitt Romney, who in an effort to used the debate as a warm up for President Obama, kept changing the subject to Democrats. At times it was even confusing for the candidates as to who was shooting at whom.  I noticed that Ron Paul made a comment about "Rick" to which the camera operator panned to Rick Perry, who consequently had a confused looked on his face..or was that his normal look? I can't ever tell.  In reality it was Rick Santorum who Paul was referring.

Coming out of the debate and above the fray was Mitt Romney who did seem more Presidential than the others, though it is really not saying all that much.  While I do not particular applaud his tactics, he brought the Democrats in and focused his attention to them instead of those on the stage.  The more I think about this, the less I really like this tactic.  If all around you is falling down, would it not behoove you to worry about it and not the other side?   If Romney truly wants to be the leader of the Republican Party, then he needs to put his foot down and stop this infighting.  He needs to take the lead in the polls and keep it.  Once and for all (win or lose) he needs to take a stand on what he believes and roll the figurative dice.  In doing so it will stop this ankle biting and congeal the party.  This is the only hope for the Republicans against President Obama.  Every day they waste fighting each other is a day wasted fighting him.

No comments:

Post a Comment