Thursday, January 5, 2012

Oh Dear God, And Man At Yale

http://www.booktv.org/Program/12964/Panel+discussion+of+William+F+Buckleys+God+Man+at+Yale.aspx


While I have slipped off to the left alittle of late, I decided to make a little foray back into the conservative mind set.  This is after all a blog about being moderate, or atleast faining so.  In my attempt to do so I came across this discussion about William F. Buckley's  GOD AND MAN AT YALE on BOOKTV over the weekend and watched it last night.  Here are some thoughts

Much of the discussion was about the Conservative movement here in America, that according to one panelist is on the rebound, and the role in academia it plays.  What the panelist discussed is true, and pertained as much to today's academic landscape as it did (according to them) to the Yale Buckley experienced in the 1950's.  For the most part education is a liberal profession, for the most part "liberal arts" has been a cover (if you will) for pressing a liberal agenda, and students (I would add young people) do have the tendency to be liberal.  One of the panelist talked about how upsetting it was to see a generation like the 1960's slide off the deep end into a selfish, liberal rant that still reverberates today.  Her main thought pattern was based on the experience she had of interviewing the first women to attend Yale University.  She discussed at length the women complaining of unfair treatment they had experienced all their lives, even though they were mostly from upper middle to upper elite class families, and never experienced true inequality.  In her mind, this was part of the liberalization of the 1960's, and cause for concern even in the 21st century.

Throughout the panel, Conservative stalwarts (like Buckley) were lifted on high as beacons for all pedagogist to guide their tiny ships to a Conservative harbor safe from a tumultuous sea of Liberal self decadence.  I cannot much fault the panel.  They are in fact a minority in education.  They need heroes, and those to pattern their own teaching after.  Everyone needs that. 

As I watched this I attempted to see their point of view, and did agree with the point made about "liberal arts" being a cover for a liberal agenda.  I have been guilty of take a more liberal view on some issues I teach.  Is this wrong? Maybe just a little, and it does play into the what the panel discussed.  Liberal arts does not by nature mean Liberal in the political sense.  From having watched this, I learned that I do need to be more mindful of taking a far left approach to things, even though I was overheard saying "We need to raise taxes" the other day.

Though out most of the program I found myself nodding along with some of what they were saying, disagreeing with some as well until the last question.  What appeared to be a very bright, attractive young lady stepped to the microphone and asked (I paraphrase) "How many people have you (the panelists) convert from liberalism to conservatism, and how do we replicate this wonderful conversion?" This is were I began to fade.  One of the panelist talked about how most people are liberal when they are young and become more Conservative when they are older.  Due primarily to their experiences they become less governed by their ideals and more by what they have seen with their own eyes.  After that, I was on my horse galloping into Disagreementville to warn the citizens that a blog was going to be posted about this panel.

As someone who has had their political opinions change over time, it is true that what I have seen is the key factor.  What would contradict the panelist's opinion is the fact that I have become more liberal with time primarily because of what I have seen. Ask my cohorts at Emory & Henry just how Conservative I was.  There is something about what I have seen since then that has changed my mental approach to a more liberal one. I am not wholly sure why that is, but I think a good bit of it is because the more I experience, the more I have in common with a broader group of people. The broader the group of people, the more open minded (I think) you need to be in order just to get along with each other.

Because I have moaned on for too long and am having a hard time wrapping this up, I will beg for your responses as a good way to finish this blog.  If you have any opinions, please oh please write me with them.  The main purpose of this blog is to talk politics, political theory and political opinion.  I want to hear what you think.  Let me know.  Comment on my blog, or on your own and let me know where you have.  I will comment on your blog if you are shy.

No comments:

Post a Comment