Wednesday, November 23, 2011

OWS Protesters Intrude On President Obama's Speech

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/occupy-protestor-hands-president-obama-note-201229558.html

I do not find this as troubling as many people would, but it bring around a set of thoughts that have been rolling over in my mind for a couple of days now. I thought it rude to interrupt a President, or anyone for that matter, but I thought President handled it well.  They have a right to protest, and I appreciate that.

A co-work was discussing on Facebook about how she felt we were facing a upheaval much like the 1960's.  This had not occurred to me until she mentioned it. my mind began to calculate similarities and we are very much easily compared.

There are mass protests in the streets of major cities, a great mistrust in the government, unpopular wars, and a unpopular president.

If we a truly looking at a decade similar to the 1960's rather than the 1930's (as I opine) then many young people must begin perseverating on how they are going to react to the times.  Many will simply blow the whole matter off and live their lives sheltered from all effects.  Some will remain loyal to the cause, and some will openly join a rebellion.  A small few will try and change the system from within, though this group will receive the least amount of attention.  I see myself as apart of this group.  No I do not have that much impact as a lowly civics and economics teacher, but I like to think I have more to do with how the world turns than some.

I struggle though too with this notion that I am not doing anything at all.  I would protest, maybe not with the Occupy Wall Streeters, but with a group that had a specific purpose.  I am loyal to the system though and want to see President Obama succeed in his plans.  I agree with the OWS in their right to protest, and their message as a whole, but I want to see them do more.  Maybe there is more being done that what is played on the media, but it seems that they want to protest and that is it.  Whatever movement I might join needs to have substance to it.  I want to see lobbying done, letters written, votes casts, and protesting can be a section as well.  So that leads me to the 1960's

Back to my original question: What faction would I have been a part of during the 1960's? I'm not a political radical.  I want my government to do well by it's people.  I like government, I want a limber government that meets the needs of the people.  Big government does not bother me, to me it means it should be able to do more and do it well.  All of this throughs me out of that group.  I'm not a true hippie, as much as I would like to be. I like showers and do not have a pension towards substances stronger than beer.  I'm not a full fledge protesting radical.  Protesting should be just but a fraction of a groups platform.

I'm rambling off topic.  Does anyone have any suggestions of a group that is like minded with me.  Not too radical, clean, smart, and willing to fight with opinions supported by facts.

No comments:

Post a Comment