Sunday, October 2, 2011

Applauding A Republican Candidate For Being Reasonable





I understand that I am late in responding to this on the blogasphere but I wanted to form my opinion, and think it through rather than just pop off with my thoughts.  In formulating my opinion of this I agree with Governor Perry on the basic principle of allowing immigrants (see appendix for a comment on immigrants) to utilize the in-state tuition breaks in Texas.  I do not however agree with the negative spin on which Governor Perry makes his comments.  I will write first on my agreement, second on my disagreement, and in the appendix weight in on immigration.

My agree with Governor Perry in that we do need to allow immigrants the ability to use the in-state tuition breaks offered to citizens in order to obtain an education.  I agree with Governor Perry that education is the key to success in our country, and I applaud him for taking the stance that he does on this issue. 

First, education is vital to success in this day and time in our country.  Immigrants, like it or not, are going to be playing a role in our country's economy, would it not be better to have them educated and taking full part in our economy?  Thomas Jefferson wrote about this extensively, and I have to feel as thought he would agree with Governor Perry's position. 

In a sense, as well, Governor Perry is not enacting anything that would/could no be utilized by ordinary citizens.  If I were to move to Texas, reside in the Republic for three years, I would be able to obtain in-state tuition.  This is NOT a policy that gives advantage to immigrants, unless you call someone who moves into a state, lives for three years, and decides to go to college an immigrant.  If this is the case, I am an immigrant to the Commonwealth of Virginia, one more year and under Governor Perry's plan I can got to UVA in-state..score

I do have one disagreement with Governor Perry's wording, and this is a petty one, but worth mentioning.  I am not sure if it is necessary to add the "they will become a drag on our economy" part at the end of the statement.  It is a proven fact that education has a direct correlation on the likelihood of contributing to the economy, and the betterment of society.  That fact goes without saying.  For once it would have been nice to hear a candidate own a policy and not have to put a negative spin on it. 

Appendix- Immigration.

I have to weight in on immigration due to this post. I am opposed (adamittely) to people limiting immigration, and policy that harms immigrants in anyway.  This opposition stems on two point in which I hold very seriously, and maybe more seriously than any other position I hold in the political realm..ok maybe not as much as my views on the Constitution but close.

1) They do not take jobs from Americans.  98% of the jobs that are done by immigrant labor are jobs that are no longer desired by Americans of Anglo or African descent.  When was the last time anyone saw anything but an immigrant picking fruit, changing sheets in motels/hotels, or any other hard labor?  Americans fear the threat of this "brown horde" of people stealing American jobs away from the unemployed white, but they forget/ do not even know where their food comes from, or how buildings get built.  Anyone who complains about immigrants taking jobs from Americans ought to go out and pick tomatoes in South Carolina, cotton in Texas, or apples in Franklin County, Virginia. No you do not want to, nor would you want your children to have to, so you have three option, grow your own food, let immigrant labor pick your food, or do without your food

2) Unless your family was here from the beginning of time, you are a the child of an immigrant. At no point in our American history has there been a time when people were not wanting to come to America.  First it was the those seeking fortune, then the religious descenders from Europe, then those who were starving in their home country, then those who fled upheaval in their country, and now we are see more people seeking fortune.  English, French, Irish, Eastern Europeans, Jews, Catholics, and all points in between have been dreaded and despised by those already here.  How soon those of Irish forget "IRISH NEED NOT APPLY" signs that appeared in the years leading to the Civil War, or the "DOGS AND JEWS NOT PERMITTED" banners that hung doorways of restaurants in the early 1900's.  This is what greeted my ancestors and I will be damned in I allow myself to do the same. 

No comments:

Post a Comment