Wednesday, August 29, 2012

What Did He Just Say?!?

http://www.thedailyshow.com/


I watched Senator Rubio's comments on the Daily Show carefully because I saw it as a real opportunity to hear what the Republicans are going to say in their platform.  Maybe that is a wrong approach, but I get the sense that he is close to vein with the policy of the party and knows a thing or two about what is going down.  Here are my comments on a few of the things he said.

One of the things that I caught only is passing at first, though I went back to make sure, was the local government/small government reference he slipped in towards the end.  I'm still scratching my head about that one because I can see why Republicans would not want to slip power down the chain to the local governments.  I have never seen the Republicans as a party against government, but as a party against big federal government.  Traditionally, states rights has been a key plank in the platform of most modern Republican going back to the ripping of the vail in the early 1960's when Democrats started being the party of ingratiation and the Dixicrats took off.  Have Republicans goes so far off the Tea Party deep end that they are no longer supporting any government...of any size?  If so this is a seismic shift in ideals and party platform. I thought the Tea Party goose was cooked, but I've been wrong before...do you think that's why no one comes for Thanksgiving anymore?

I know the liberal media gets to me, and I know I have been brain washed but this notion of incentivizing the market only sounds like a way for their buddies to get rich.  It is a tale as old as cavemen.  Who better to have on you side than the best hunter, so you pay him a little extra of what you kill to keep him happy.  All the talk of letting the market go and run it's self sounds to me like is piss down my back when the forecast says rain.

 And why should I not by that way?  Wall Street has proven time again that they are fully capable of engineering complex market schemes in order to make money from just about any action they take.  Losing money is not something a millionaire does well (he is after all a millionaire), and neither do his millionaire friends.  So I'm supposed to think that electing the chief of the millionaire tribe is going to be the best thing for me?  I've heard some good ones in my time but that is about the best one I've heard....though take it for what it is worth..I've been brain washed.

The final thing that I am left frowning about is this hatred of government works projects.  Republicans are first in line to hit the Obama un-employment pinata but they are not a fan of any measure he takes.  Do they think that some of us won't make that connection?  Now I know they're argument is that they do not want those jobs created at the tax payers expense but just who do you think is going to pay for them if they turn it over to private companies?  Are we the tax payer going to get a break on our taxes if we help bond a new school?  Then have the school built by the brother-in-law of the Delegate that supported the bond in the state house?  Will will not pay more taxes if our county levies a new bridge?  Only to see the bridge collapse when the baling wire it was held together with snaps and the cousin of the county manager isn't to be found.  What about toll roads? Am I going to be able to write off the tolls I pay going home if they toll I-81? Again, I feel piss down my back..but the forecast said rain!?!?

Tom Pendergast loved Harry S. Truman for his stubborn populist stripe.  Pendergast loved Truman because he wanted to build roads in rural Missouri.  Truman campaigned for County Judge (more like a Mayor) on the platform of roads.  Once in office the roads were bid to private..not government..companies.  Care to guess who won most of those contracts?  Why Pendergast Paving Company.  It was not, it has been proven, Truman's vote that got the companies the jobs, but it sure looked that way to the people of rural Independence, Missouri. The unfairly voted Truman out of office, but later regretted him sitting at home with Bess when they need Pendergast kicked out.

No comments:

Post a Comment