Thursday, December 8, 2011

Thoughts About Stereotypes

http://www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/2011/12/07/142861568/disappointing-redneck-tv-shortchanges-the-american-south?verified=true&sc=fb&cc=fp#commentBlock



I speak with a Eastern Tennessee accent and I am an educated, upstanding, and contributing member of society.  I hold a Master’s Degree and while I teach in a small Southwestern Virginia town I have my student research the masters of art, read Shakespeare, and do things like listen to NPR.  Such are hardly things that “backward” rednecks do, though I do not fill uncomfortable at NASCAR races.  The south is a unique place unlike any other in the United State, but is not void of stereotypes.  If people watch such shows and feel as though that is exactly what Southerners are like then they show their own ignorance not ours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment